Seat belt campaign to be conducted from May 20 through June 2

ENGLISHTOWN – Law enforcement officers from the Englishtown Police Department will join with police from around the country in cracking down on unbuckled motorists and passengers as part of the national “Click it or Ticket” campaign.

Beginning May 20 and running through June 2, the annual “Click It or Ticket” national mobilization uses high visibility seat belt checkpoints and saturation patrols, in combination with local and national publicity efforts, to reiterate the life-saving value of seat belts, according to a press release.

“Using a seat belt is the simplest way for motor vehicle occupants to protect themselves on the road,” said Eric Heitmann, director of the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety. “Crash statistics show that between 2013 and 2017, seat belt use saved nearly 69,000 lives nationally.”

In New Jersey, a key focus of this year’s campaign is to promote seat belt usage by adults in all seating positions in the vehicle, both front and rear seats.

The front seat belt usage rate in New Jersey currently stands at 94.47%. However, adults riding in rear seats are buckling up at only 48% according to a recent survey, according to the press release.

“For whatever reason, there seems to be a disconnect with people feeling they don’t need to buckle up when riding as passengers in rear seats, and this is a concern,” Heitmann said. “By promoting back seat usage of seat belts during our campaign, we are encouraging passenger habits that will save lives.”

During the 2018 “Click it or Ticket” campaign, 357 New Jersey police agencies participated in the two-week initiative. As a result of the effort, law enforcement officers issued 19,659 seat belt citations, 4,437 speeding summonses and made 661 impaired driving arrests, according to the press release.

0
0
0
0
0

(1) comment

cantretireyet

According to statistics presented in other media, the "click it or ticket" campaign has worked and that about 95% of drivers use seat belts and that the other 5% probably never will. So saying, I would like to see more done on the wipers on/headlights on law that few do not follow either forgetting about turning the lights on or using "running lights" that do not turn on the taillights or use their parking lights. In the recent rain I drove through 7 towns on my way to a doctor's office and personally counted over 200 cars not following the law (and who knows how many I missed). All while seeing absolutely no patrol cars on the road (as occurs in almost every rain I drive through) so drivers feel they do not need to follow that law. Just a thought.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.