More and more drivers across the globe give preference to diesel drives for a number of advantages. Among the others, these vehicles require fewer expenses on fuel and are less harmful to the environment. Diesel drives are used for a variety of vehicles. Thus, even if a person drives a petrol car, one can probably meet the necessity to operate a diesel drive of a truck, tractor, welding generator or other equipment.
Just like in every field, prevention is more significant and cheaper than repairment. When it comes to a diesel drive, one may check the Detroit's DiagnosticLink 8.09 available on epcatalogs website and learn the benefits which can be obtained due to this software. Aside from timely diagnostics, one would also need to know how to operate such drives so that to avoid harming and destroying them too preliminary.
Rules of Operating Diesel Drives
- The level of oil should be checked regularly. This rule is applicable to all types of engines. With diesel, it is crucially important not only to discover in time that the level is insufficient. Apart from this, it is necessary to identify the reason for a decrease in the oil level. Oil system can be contaminated or not tight, thus, oil is leaking. After a problem is eliminated, the oil shall be replaced, and particular attention should be paid to its level.
- High-quality fuel and oil should be used. It is better to refer to a manual and check compatible types of oil and fuel, as well as their main characteristics. In the event of doubts, it is recommended to inquire a manufacturer so that to ensure warranty liabilities, as well as to avoid possible troubles.
- During startup, throttling should be avoided. This rule is specifically significant for the vehicles without the Start/Stop system. After starting an engine, it is essential to let work at idle for several minutes. Besides, it is essential to smoothly feed gas when a car starts its movement. In such a way, it is feasible to avoid excess load on a turbine.
- During operation, it is better to keep rpm at a medium level. The turbine is an assembly permanently working under high loads. Thus, using a vehicle at a low speed of rotation is not allowed. Keeping rpm at the medium rate, it is still recommended to sometimes increasing it to a high rate so that the turbocharger system cleaning is activated. However, a user should be careful and not let a vehicle work at an increased speed of rotation for too long, otherwise, a turbine can be destroyed.
- Right after stopping an engine, it should not be immediately shut down. To avoid overheating of a turbocharger rotor and bearings, after stopping an engine, it is essential to let it work at idle for several minutes. Due to the circulation of oil, the turbine will cool down, and excess wear of its components will be avoided.
Proper operation and timely maintenance are key factors in saving money while using diesel drives. Following the above rules and making diagnostics on time, a driver can avoid many possible troubles, thus, will not spend a fortune in case of a breakdown.